Splitto (who needs a cool name when you are the only user of your app?) is an app to split group expenses evenly.
Yes, i know that there are a lot of them already, but all the ones i tried have the same problem. You are either required to be registered on their service, or you need to create “groups” to split the bill. Useful when you are on a trip, a vacation, or living with someone, but not when you only need a one-off for a dinner or a few drinks.
It uses this greedy algorithm, which doesnt provide the optimal solution, as in the least amount of transactions, but its good enough.
- Sum everyone spendings
- Divide the total by the amount of people
- Calculate each persons net as: SPENT - PER_PERSON
- Sort all the positives from highest to lowest, and all the negatives from lowest to highest.
- Net out first positive with first negative, and pull out the one that gets to zero. Sort again
- Repeat untill no more items.
You can use it from here, (yes, technically its not an app, its a PWA, but who is counting).